<< Return to List
Study: OOH Amplifies All Other Major Media by +90%
Date: October 21, 2019
In a typical week, OOH can amplify the reach of every other major media channel to more than 90 percent, according to a new study conducted by MRI|Simmons. The report, commissioned by OAAA, found OOH adds the greatest reach to heavy users of other media, particularly users of digital video services.
“Audiences exposed to OOH are digitally savvy and on the go. They are receptive to advertising and engage across multiple media,” said OAAA President & CEO Anna Bager. “Adding OOH to a media mix exponentially grows exposure and audience, and this new analysis tell us exactly which media benefit the most.”
The report found adding OOH to digital video platform advertising amplifies exposure and can double, triple, or quadruple the audience reached:
- video streaming +132%
- TV or movie smartphone/tablet apps +226%
- downloading/streaming on cell or smartphone +306%
- mobile video viewing +340%
Bager added, “The connection between OOH and digital media is undeniable. We are a mobile society constantly connected through our devices; exposure to OOH can boost engagement with those devices and other media.”
The study profiled OOH viewers in general and those with heavy OOH viewership, finding:
- The general OOH audience represents 93% of adults
- The general OOH audience spends the most time engaging with mobile phones (13.5 hours), compared to other media channels
- The heavy OOH audience spends even more time on mobile phones and work PCs
- The heavy OOH audience has higher levels of education, employment, and household income
The study examined over 22,000 US adults (ages 18 – 64) who had driven or ridden in a car in the past week. The analysis was supplemented by an online study of ad awareness in movie theaters among 2,400 adults (ages 18-64).
The full study is available online for OAAA member access.
<< Return to List