<< Return to List
Myron Laible On Out of Home Research and Scholarships
Date: November 30, 2016
FOARE is a private, non-profit 501(c)3 foundation which is administered by the OAAA. Insider talked with the OAAA’s Myron Laible about FOARE.
What institution has contributed over $2 million towards critical outdoor industry research and to academic scholarships over the past decade? The Foundation for Advertising Research and Education (“FOARE”). FOARE is a private, non-profit 501(c)3 foundation which is administered by the OAAA. Insider talked with the OAAA’s Myron Laible about FOARE.
Myron, when was FOARE started and what is its mission?
The industry’s initial foundation was established in 1930 and re-constituted in 1999 with a new name, the Foundation for Outdoor Advertising Research and Education (FOARE).
The foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable foundation fostering research and education on issues of critical importance to the future of the OOH advertising industry and all its stakeholders. As the FOARE Board notes, the foundation is intended to do “good work for the industry” via scholarships along with important research and special project initiatives.
What academic scholarships does FOARE provide?
Since 2001, FOARE has awarded $362,000 in scholarships to 115 students most of whom have direct connections to the out of home industry. Specific scholarships include:
- Nine FOARE scholarships in the amount of $3,000 each per year, which includes scholarship aimed at design and art students.
- The Allman Family Foundation scholarship of $5,000/year to a student in sales and marketing, which was awarded for the first time in 2016
- A Vern and Elaine Clark endowed “Outdoor Advertising Champion” scholarship for $4,500, which was awarded for the first time in 2012
- A Reagan Family Foundation scholarship in the amount of $4,000 to graduate planning students at the University of Texas and/or the University of Utah which were awarded to a student from each school for the first time in 2015
- Plus, a separate Fletcher Family Foundation grant program is being established with an endowment of over $200,000
You can read about 2014-2015 scholarship winners here. If you know anyone who is interested in applying for a FOARE scholarship contact Myron Laible.
What industry research is FOARE focused on now?
FOARE research projects are designed to support critical and innovative research and education programs vital to the future of OOH media interests. Projects help ensure OOH advertising is competitive and a preferred means for marketing and promotion. A sampling of these projects:
- An initial study to examine how OOH advertising can keep pace with changes in automobile technology and other issues related to new modes and systems of transportation and their impact on the industry
- To support digital billboard implementation, there were several ground breaking traffic safety research studies conducted by the Virginia Transportation Research Institute (VTTI) and Tantala Associates involving driver distraction and crash data reports. Peer-reviewed research papers were distributed at major marketing and transportation related organizations.
- OOH advertising curricula has been developed and disseminated for university marketing and advertising courses nationwide
- Industry positioning research was supported along with assistance for a national Photo Ark campaign with National Geographic as well as other special projects
How is FOARE funded?
With tax deductible donations from private individuals as well as OOH Media companies and other industry friends. Giving to FOARE enables you to help secure the industry’s future and to assist college students who have an interest in careers in the out of home industry.
How can you contribute?
The FOARE page
on the OAAA website has an on-line contribution form
as well as mail-in form for donations. Fill out and return this form to the OAAA. You can contact Myron Laible at mlaible@OAAA.org
if you have questions or need additional information.
Click here to see the original post.
<< Return to List